City Council passes smoking ban ordinance Jan. 22, 2013
During its regular meeting on Jan. 22, 2013, the Forney city council -
- Approved, as a consent item, ordering the May 11, 2013 election for council places 2, 4, 6 and the Mayoral seat.
- Authorized the Parks Department to seek RFQ's from interested parties to update the "Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Master Plan" which was originally developed in 2004. Once staff evaluates the RFQ's, they will one or more to city council for contractual approval.
- Approved the first increase for CWD commercial rates in two years, which range from about 1.5% to 2%.
- Approved the first increase for CWD residential solid waste rates, which adds $0.17 per month.
- Approved an ordinance # 13-02 banning smoking in "Public Buildings" or in "Eating Establishments." "Public Buildings" are defined as: any city-owned or city-leased building, place, facility or property that is operated or controlled by the city.
"Eating Establishment" is defined as: any establishment that prepares or serves food or beverages, regardless of whether the establishment provides seating or facilities for on-premises consumption. The term includes, but is not limited to, restaurants, coffee shops, cafeterias, fast-food establishments, private clubs, short-order cafes, luncheonettes, lunchrooms, soda fountains, food carts, food vending vehicles, and catering establishments.
Smoking will not be allowed within 25 feet of any opening to these places, but will be allowed in parking lots and on sidewalks, as long as the smoker is more that 25 feet from a prohibited location.
Owners of affected facilities are required to post signage stating the prohibition, as well as not provide ash trays, matches, lighters or other smoking paraphernalia.
The penalties for violating the ordinance is up to a $2,000 fine, per day.
The ordinance may go in effect March 1st.